The Star (Nairobi)

19 November 2012

Kenya: Nanok and Ethuro Released On Sh50,000 Bail

MPs Josephat Nanok and Ekwe Ethuro have both been released on a Sh50,000 cash bail. Turkana South MP Josephat Nanok and his Turkana central counterpart Ekwe Ethuro appeared in court this morning to answer to incitement charges.

The two declined to take a plea arguing they that they were protected by parliamentary privilege as the statements made last week about the Baragoi police killings were released within the confines of the parliamentary buildings.

The two MPs addressed a press conference in Nairobi on Thursday last week to defend the Turkana community for the killing of 42 police officers by cattle rustlers in Baragoi two weeks ago.

Nanok has been in police custody at the Kileleshwa Police station for the last two days while Ethuro, who was on Saturday questioned by the CID, was released on a police bond and ordered to appear in court this morning.

The CID had last week summoned the two MPs, together with Labour minister John Munyes, after they alleged that they knew some of the cattle rustlers who had attacked police officers and stated that the police should have sought the MPs help to convince them to return the stolen animals.

Nanok ignored summons by the police prompting his arrest by officers from the flying squad last Friday shortly after appearing in a television talk show.

He said the police decided to lock him up after he declined to sign a statement which he had not authored. His lawyer Korir Sing'oei said the MP has done nothing wrong.

Last Friday, Nanok told a media briefing at Parliament Buildings that he had received a call from a top CID officer summoning him to write a statement.

He said he decided not to honour the summons after consulting his lawyer who advised him to only honour written summons. Ethuro honored police summons and presented himself at the CID headquarters where he recorded statements. The whereabouts of Munyes are not known as he is yet to present himself to the police.

Nanok and Ethuro will appear in court on November 21 when the court is expected to decide whether the two will enter a plea or not over the incitement charges.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.