The court has dismissed incitement charges against Turkana MPs Ekwe Ethuro and Josephat Nanok. Chief magistrate Kiare Waweru has ruled that the charge sheet was defective.
He said the words uttered by the MPs over the Baragoi police killings are not enough to charge the two with incitement to violence. The two MPs addressed a press conference in Nairobi on Thursday last week to defend the Turkana community for the killing over 40 police officers by cattle rustlers in Baragoi two weeks ago.
They told a press conference at Parliament Buildings those who ambushed and killed the policemen in Suguta valley, within Baragoi area in Samburu County were doing so to defend themselves from a 'state sponsored attack'. Also present during the press conference was Labour minister John Munyes.
The CID had last week summoned the two MPs, together with Munyes. Nanok ignored summons by the police prompting his arrest by officers from the Flying Squad last Friday shortly after appearing on a television talk show. He claimed the police locked him up after he refused to sign a statement which he had not authored.