The season-closing Coast Rally Championship on December 9 have a sponsor, GA Insurance Ltd, a member of the I and M Bank Group and a leading Insurance Company in the region.
The event has now been renamed The GA Insurance Coast Rally Championship. GA Insurance's Mombasa branch manager Zafir Din, while making the announcement, said the company is proud to be associated with MMC, which incidentally is the only motor club in the country currently running a regional low-budget rally championship for emerging competitors.
This event will cover 150km competitive distance starting at 06.30 from Likoni and encircling Mombasa via Mariakani, Mazeras and Nguu Tatu.
There will be a Sunday afternoon spectator special at Nguu Tatu. Rally cars will then proceed to prize giving at Lighthouse Mama Ngina Drive Mombasa.
Scrutineering for the rally will be on December 8 at Lighthouse Mama Ngina from 3pm. The rally is expected to attract all the Mombasa based drivers including Naushad Kara, Izhar Mirza, Sudesh Hirani "Hakuuz", Nadeem Kana who is the 2012 Wheel Drive Kenya national champion.
Others are Shaib Janmohammed, Victor Okundi and Jitendra Davda of Babu Motors. The 2012 Kenya National Rally Championship is now over so the Coast Rally hopes to attract many upcountry drivers for some serious but fun driving seeing as they have several months before the next event to repair damaged cars.
Mombasa Motor Club chairman Roy Mckenzie said all drivers are welcome to enter the event so long as they are MMC Members. Temporary membership is available. Roy said all cars must meet safety requirements to enter.
The route includes twisty sections as well as fast and slow sections. About 45 per cent of the route has been recently used the rest being new roads.
So far the entry list for the- GA Insurance Coast Rally Championship is
1. Naushaud Kara/Adnan Din (Subaru N12-Lota Motorsport)
2. Sudesh Hirani/"Hakuuz" (Subaru N10-Hakuuz Rallying)
3. Victor Okundi (Vitz-Quatulu World Rally Team)
4. Paras Pandya/Falgun Bhojak (Subraru-Synergy Gases Racing)
5. Jitendra Davda "Jitu"/Prakash Babu (Toyota Marino-Babu Motors)
6. Manmeet Singh "Vicky"/ TBA(Subaru-Nanak Engineering)
7. Harpreet S. Sagoo "Hapz"/Harvinder Dhanjal "Haru" (Subaru N10-SRT/Interior Decor Team)
8. Yusuf Pasta/Vinay Shah (Subaru Forester-Roadtainers Racing)
9. Khalid Yusuf/Absalom Aswani (Toyota Levin-Waka Waka)
10. Riyaz Shiraz/Gurveer Pandal (Datsun 1600sss-Shazz Group)
11. Izhar Mirza/Zahir Shah (EVO9-Coast Pekee)
12. Nadeem Kana/George Mwangi (Subaru-THhumbs Up/Aisha Motors)
13. Khalfan Athman/Abdulaziz Athman (Subaru N11-Dukali Racing)