FOROYAA Newspaper (Serrekunda)

22 November 2012

Gambia: PW Two Testifies in the Mambanyick Njie False Information Trial

Mr. Karamo Ceesay, the treasurer at the Gambia Football Association (GFA) yesterday, Wednesday, 21 November 2012, testified as the second prosecution witness PW2 in the ongoing alleged false information trial involving Mambanyick Njie, former Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Youth and Sports, before Principal Magistrate Taiwo Ade Alagbe of the BANJUL Magistrates' Court.

Mr. Ceesay told the court that sometime in April 2012, he received a phone call from one man whom, he said, introduced himself as Detective Cadet Baldeh of the Gambia Police Force and told him that he should report to the Fraud Squad office at the Police Headquarters in Banjul for questioning. He said when he reported to the said office, he found the members of dissolved GFA executive, adding that he was later called in a room by Detective Baldeh.

According to the PW2, Mr. Baldeh did ask him about his role at the GFA which he explained. He added that he was further questioned by Baldeh as to why GFA did not retire imprest that was received from the Ministry of Youth and Sports, but his response was that he cannot remember receiving any money from the said Ministry as imprest and therefore cannot account for monies he did not receive.

PW2 said he told the police detective that he cannot remember receiving money as imprest from the Ministry of Youth and Sports at any time.

When asked by the Police Prosecutor Sergeant Manga whether he had the opportunity to look at the petition written by the accused during the cause of investigations, he responded in the negative.

Further responding to questions from the prosecutor, Mr. Ceesay disclosed to the court that 80% of GFA money comes from FIFA, while the other 20% is obtained from league marches, international games etc. He added that FIFA selects the KPMG auditors for the auditing of their subventions. He said when the process of auditing is finished, the audit report is normally sent to FIFA.

Mr. Ceesay further told the court that GFA is under the Ministry of Youth and Sports, as the Ministry supervises all sporting activities in the country. He said if the national teams are competing, the GFA prepares a budget and send it to the Ministry of Youth and Sports for funding and in some cases the Ministry would say they don't have money and the GFA will take care of the responsibility.

Hearing continues today.

The particulars s of offence state that Mambanyick Njie, on or about 1st March 2012 in Banjul, whilst serving as Permanent Secretary of Youth and Sports, wrote a petition to the Office of the President, stating that the ex-Gambia Football Association (GFA) Executives were engaged in malpractices and never gave a thorough account of the imprest given to them for international matches and, therefore, sought approval to dissolve the said GFA Executive, information he knew to be false or did not believe to be true.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 FOROYAA Newspaper. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.