A prominent youth movement withdrew its support for the Egyptian president on Thursday in light of the latest clashes between protesters and security forces.
April 6, who played a key role in last year's popular uprising, slammed the performance of President Mohamed Mursi and his cabinet in dealing with the Mohamed Mahmoud clashes that erupted on Monday.
Hundreds of protesters gathered in Mohamed Mahmoud Street from Tahrir on Monday to commemorate last November's deadly events where more than 40 people were killed.
Confrontations broke out between security forces and protesters on Monday evening and have been on and off for the past three days where scores have been injured.
In a statement on Thursday, April 6 said that the reason they initially supported Mursi was to defeat his counterpart whom they believed represented a direct threat to the goals of the uprising.
Ahmed Shafiq, who served as Hosni Mubarak's last premier and was seen by many as an attempt of the former regime to reclaim power, lost to Mursi in July.
Shafiq's campaign statements had suggested that if he were to become president he would not allow freedom of expression and other rights gained through Mubarak's ouster, the movement said, justifying their support for Mursi during the runoffs.
April 6's statement declared an intention to participate in Friday's million-man march against the regime, with these demands in mind:
- Replacing Prime Minister Hisham Kandil's cabinet with a "revolutionary" government that has a clear vision and applicable time table.
- Restructuring the Interior Minister and prosecuting all those who were involved in the killing of peaceful protesters.
- Creating a balance in the constitution-writing assembly in order for it to produce a constitution that fits post-revolution Egypt and meets the aspirations of Egyptians.
- Forcing the general prosecutor to step down, considering him behind the acquittals of all those responsible for the killing of peaceful protesters during last year's popular uprising.