The Commission received concerns from both the People's Movement of Democratic Change (PMDC) and the Sierra Leone Peoples Party (SLPP) pertaining to the conduct of elections and performance of NEC staff and other security personnel on polling day.
The Commission will like to point out the following:
Missing Final Voter Register in several polling stations in Bombali and Koinadugu Bombali - We are aware that voter register for one centre was misplaced but was later found in another centre within the same ward.
Koinadugu - the election procedure allows for the generation of the register based on the presentation of a voter ID where the original register was not available on polling day. This was what occurred in Koinadugu and in any other area where it was found necessary to do so.
Interference by certain NEC officials in voters' choice selection
We would like the political parties to provide any evidence in their possession to the police.
Ballot Stuffing and Intimidation etc
NEC has not announced the results of any individual constituency or centre therein. We can therefore not comment on the allegations regarding this issue.
We have no reports of NEC official being put under gun point. Any evidence of this should be provided to the police.
NEC cannot comment on the supply of electricity to polling station save to say that polling kits include alternative source of light.
Kassel Farm - We will ask that more specific information be given to the police.
St Edwards Secondary School - We have received no report of any NEC official being arrested for any such incident. Further NEC cannot comment on whether there was a curfew in the area as it is outside its mandate.
Refusal by NEC Officials to give out party Agents RRFs
There was a shortage of original RRFs in some parts of the country which affected all parties. However, NEC officials used observer copies which were posted outside the centers.
Evidence of Unsigned or unstamped RRFs
In relation to this issue, NEC observed this lapse and where it occurred investigations have been carried out to verify the results. It is important to understand that all who voted must have their votes counted and no one should feel disenfranchised.
NEC Officials directing voters to vote Ernest Koroma
In response to this matter, we advise that this information be given to the police.
RRFs not signed
Any information relating to RRF not signed should be referred to the police and please keep NEC informed. NEC is surprised to learn that party agents could sign blank RRFs thereby colluding in wrong doing.
People without Voter IDs and not on the voter register allowed to vote
This is a matter for the police and they should be provided with the necessary evidence.
64 Ballot boxes quarantined
We do not have a system wherein ballot boxes are quarantined. Generally tampered envelopes are quarantined pending investigations.
We request that any evidence of irregularity at Buxton School and elsewhere be reported to the police.
UPDATE ON ELECTION RESULTS TALLYING AT REGIONAL TALLY CENTERS
The Commission hereby wishes to inform the general public that 99% of all polling stations results have now being received at the Regional Tally Centers in Kenema, Makeni, Bo and Freetown. Out of the 9,493 polling stations, 90% of (8,544) polling station results have been processed. The Remaining 10% of polling station results have been quarantined and may require opening of affected ballot boxes and recount of the ballot papers.
The Commission strongly condemns the use of copies of the Final Voters Register (FVR) by political party agents on polling day to undertake parallel voter verification. The Commission distributed the FVR to the political parties for their internal use and not to undertake any parallel identification or verification of voters, thereby obstructing the electoral process and infringing of the privacy of voters.
All vehicles with stickers marked NEC operations used on polling day with the exception of security vehicles should now be removed with immediate effect
Dr. Christiana Thorpe
Chief Electoral Commissioner/Chairperson
National Returning Officer