24 November 2012

Zimbabwe: Sexual Abuse Unearthed

A SEXUAL abuse scandal has been unearthed at the Anglican Church's Shirley Cripps Children's Home in Chikwaka that has led to the arrest of one care-giver. Police at Juru have arrested a man who worked at the home in connection with the case after a report made by the Church of the Province of Central Africa led by Bishop Chad Gandiya.

Bishop Gandiya told journalists on Wednesday that his church had to quickly send a team of care-givers after receiving reports that most workers had left the home following the church's victory at the Supreme Court.

"The reports we received were that the sexual abuse was widespread. We alerted the police, although we were not yet in control of the institution. Police responded swiftly and a suspected male abuser was arrested. I understand that the man is now out on bail," said Bishop Gandiya.

One of the girls, according to Bishop Gandiya, was unceremoniously transferred from the school.

Officer commanding police in Murewa district Chief Superintendent Simon Mwatsikesimbe confirmed the arrest.

"I confirm that such a report was made at Juru Police Station and one male suspect was arrested in connection with the abuse," he said.

Copyright © 2012 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.