Sudan News Agency (Khartoum)

22 November 2012

Sudan: Government Announces Detention of 13 Persons in Foiled Sabotage Attempt

Khartoum — The government announced that 13 military and civilian elements have been arrested for charges pertinent to the foiled sabotage attempt of Wednesday, top of them were the former Director General of National Security and Intelligence Service, Gen. Salah Abdalla Gosh, Maj.Gen. Adel Al-Tayeb (Military Intelligence Unit) and Brig. Mohamed Ibrahim Abdul-Jalil.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Culture and Information, Dr. Ahmed Bilal Osman, revealed in a press conference he held Thursday noon at the premises of the ministry that the sabotage attempt was planned to take place Thursday last week and that was delayed for today Thursday.

He said that the security authorities have monitored internal and external communications in this connection and that the government had decided to thwart this attempt before its zero hour as precautionary measures in order to avoid any chaos in the country.

Dr. Osman said that the concerned security authorities received several evidences and details about the move that aimed tocreating a state of chaos and instability as well as targeting to Sudanese leaders.

The minister reiterated that the government has been following up this attempt as well as the rumors that were associated with the illness of the President of the Republic and to mobilize the public opinion, create state of disorder besides paving the way for such action.

The minister referred to the dreams of some parties and internal and external bodies to pave the way for toppling the government, describing these dreams as illusive.

The minister affirmed that the government is now carrying out investigation with the detained persons, affirming prevalence of stability and security all over the country.

He said that what has happened can never be considered a threat to the stability in the country and there are no extensions whatsoever to this move inside the Armed Forces, the Security Service or the People's Defence Forces.

The minister of Culture and Information, Dr. Ahmed Bilal Osman, called on the media not to give heed to the rumors and pledged to provide fresh information to the public opinion on the issue.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Sudan News Agency. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.