27 November 2012

Uganda: Tinkasimire Arson Case - Suspect Released On Bond

The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) of Police has revealed that the prime suspect in the death of Buyaga Member of Parliament Barnabas Tinkasimire's wife, Agnes Ageno Tinkasimire has been released.

Fred Mwesigwa was arrested on October 7 2012 by Mukono Police a week after unidentified arsonists torched Tinkasimire's house in Mukono district.

However, due to the sensitivity of the case, the suspect was immediately handed over to SIU headquarters in Kireka, a Kampala suburb.

Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson Ibin Ssenkumbi said the transfer was aimed at deepening and fast-tracking investigations into the case.

"The case was transferred from Mukono Police station to SIU headquarters in Kireka for better management," Ssenkumbi told New Vision.

According to Chelimo Beata, the SIU commandant, the suspect was released on Police bond some days after his transfer to Kireka.

According to article 23(4) of the 1995 Uganda Constitution, a suspect should be released with 48 hours of his or her arrest or be produced in court for prosecution.

However since SIU had not concluded investigations into the matter, the suspect was released and ordered to report to SIU once a month.

Police said the suspect will be produced in court for prosecution once the investigations are concluded.

Mwesigwa is the only person arrested in connection to the case.

Mwesigwa was the deceased's tenant at Hamu Mukasa village in Mukono Municipality.

Prior to the incidence, Tinkasimire's late wife had reportedly developed misunderstandings with Mwesigwa over a visitor he wanted to stay with.

The deceased is said to have reported the matter to local authorities asking them to send away the Mwesigwa and his visitor insisting that she could not share a compound with the two heavily men.

However, fire gutted the house a day after Mwesigwa had left Agnes' premises.

Agnes, together with a relative, sustained grievous injuries when suspected arsonists torched their house in Mukono.

They were rushed to Mulago referral hospital for treatment for the injuries they sustained in the inferno.

After five days in the intensive care unit, Agnes passed away as a result of extensive damage to her crucial internal body organs. The relative was discharged.

Copyright © 2012 New Vision. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.