Capital FM (Nairobi)

Kenya: DPP Orders Fresh Probe Into Saitoti Son's Case

Nairobi — The Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko has ordered the Commissioner of Police Mathew Iteere to investigate the alleged abduction of Zachary Musengi - the late Internal Security Minister George Saitoti's son.

The directive came after a family based in Nakuru filed a suit against Saitoti's family claiming that Zachary is their son who was abducted in 1987.

Tobiko wants the report sent to him within thirty days saying that the allegations made by both families must be investigated promptly to verify the claims.

Sebastian Ngunju Maina, a teacher, and his wife Elizabeth Njeri, a nurse, claim they are the biological parents of the 25-year-old adopted son of the late minister.

Maina had said he identified Musengi during the televised State burial of the one-time Vice President. He moved to court seeking leave to institute private prosecution against Saitoti's wife.

Maina who is represented by Lawyer Hari Gakinya wants to prosecute Saitoti for wrongfully concealing and confining an abducted person.

In his sworn affidavit, Maina said his third born son in a family of five was kidnapped at their home in Subukia, Nakuru in 1987 only three days to his third birthday.

He narrated how he had been searching for his son for the past 21 years even to a point of pretending to be a mason and working at Saitoti's home in vain.

He said the woman who kidnapped his son was charged and acquitted prematurely after he was threatened and informed that his son had been taken by the then Vice President's family.

Maina said efforts to talk to the late Minister's wife and Musengi after seeing and recognising him on television had been fruitless. He said he wanted to privately prosecute Saitoti since the DPP had refused to reopen the case arguing that a person had been charged with the offence.

Zachary graduated from the University of the West of England with two Bachelor of Arts degrees in photography and in graphic design.

The Nakuru Magistrate's Court in late October was stopped by the Nairobi High Court from proceeding with the case until some verification was done to unearth the truth.

The case will now be mentioned on January 10, 2013.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Capital FM. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.