There was pandemonium in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital Wednesday following rumours of bomb scare few meters away from the Government House, leading to the arrest of a young man suspected to be on a suicide mission.
The incident, which occurred between the hours of 10 a.m, and 11 a.m spread rumours across the city capital like a wild fire, causing residents to scamper for safety in different direction.
It was gathered that a middle-aged man, whose identities were not made public by the police was said to have been conveyed by a motorbike to the spot and alighted in-front of the main gate of the Government's House, where he was said to have been making calls in a manner that gave room for suspicion.
Reports have has it that three suspected bombers actually came for the operation, while only one was arrested, and the other two suspects escaped in a motorcycle.
Explaining how the incident took place, a civil servant named Johnson, said having suspected the strange moment of the suspect, he quickly demanded his mission in the area, which was about a kilometre to the Governor's Lodge.
According to him, he immediately alerted the security personnel detailed at the main gate of the Government's House, who responded swiftly and dispossessed the suspect of some of his personal belongings.
Johnson disclosed to journalists that substance suspected to be explosive devices were recovered from the suspect, while other dangerous weapons like charms, knives and other lethal tools were also found on him.
However, commenting on the incident, the Police Public Relations Officer of the Ekiti State Police Command, Mr Victor Olu , who confirmed the arrest of the suspect, said no explosive material or bomb was found on him.
"Somebody was just trying to draw attention to himself. No bomb or explosive material was found on him. He only behaved curiously and that caused the suspicion that made people to raise the alarm because he exhibited a conduct likely to cause the breach of public peace."
The police spokesman added that the suspect was being detained at the state police headquarters as investigations on his motive, are still ongoing.
Also, in his reaction, the state Commissioner for Information, Mr Funminiyi Afuye, said the matter was already with the police, adding that the outcome of the police investigation would determine the next line of action.
Meanwhile, hearing would begin today in the suit filed by the former governor of the state, Mr. Segun Oni, seeking the retrial of the case filed against the declaration of Kayode Fayemi as governor of the state by the Court of Appeal, culminating in Oni's ouster from office on October 15, 2010.
Oni, in the suit also claimed that the suspended chairman of the Appeal Court, Justice Isa Ayo Salami, was not fit to chair the appeal panel in Ilorin that nullified his election on the strength of alleged conviviality with some top members of the ACN.
A top brass of a security agency told journalists in Ado Ekiti of the readiness of all the security outfits to beef up security in the state capital, owing to the high level of curiosity among the political class.
The Appeal Court sitting in Ado Ekiti had earlier dismissed Oni's appeal on the ground that it lacks merit and that his request cannot be granted.