Lafia — The Nasarawa State Emergency Management Agency said it had spent N50 million to provide relief material for 94,358 persons flood displaced persons in the state.
Dr Abdullahi Idris, the Executive Secretary of the agency announced at a news briefing in Lafia on Wednesday. He said that the State Government also received N400 million from the Federal Government as intervention grant for the flood victims.
He refuted the allegation that the money had been kept in a fixed deposit to yield interest for the State Government. According to him, the State Government will set up a taskforce to work out the modalities for the effective utilisation of the special fund.
He said that the taskforce would also ensure that all those affected by the flood were reached. He explained that 122 communities, with a total of 94,358 persons, were displaced while more than 2,000 hectares of farmlands were also destroyed by the flood.
Idris said that the government would relocate the victims from their original place, but lamented inadequacy of funds to cater for all the victims. He explained that apart from the Federal Government's special funds, the state had also received some materials from the Dangote Foundation.
The materials include 350 bags of rice, 1,000 blankets and 1,500 bags of 1kg salt, which would be distributed to the victims.
The agency had also taken delivery of some materials from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) as well the Federal Government relief team.
These included 500 bundles of roofing sheets, 400 planks and 200 mattresses. (NAN)