Welcome to the last month of the year. It is a very significant month. It marks the transition from one year to another. God has his agenda for the 12th month. The devil also has his agenda.
There are two things about December: The crowning river of goodness and the power of last laughter.
1. December: The crowning river of goodness
Psalm 65:9-13: "You crown the year with your goodness and your paths drip with abundance." Psa 65:11
Psalm 46:4, "There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High."
December is Yuletide: A season of thanksgiving and charity. Gifts and givings are commonplace. This is the season Santa Claus, Father Christmas (or papa Noel etc.) goes round distributing gifts to children. Our Father is the Father of light who gives every good gift, every perfect gift from above to His own children. God crowns the year with His goodness.
That is the Father I am taking you to His throne throughout this month to worship, to appreciate, to adore, to glorify and to receive from.
In the agenda of heaven, by this end of year, the 12th month, you should be celebrating apostolic testimonies in your life. You should be swimming in the rivers of testimonies of His goodness toward you and your family. If that is not your own case, God is about to change your story!
If your situation since the year began has been like one huge wilderness of failure and frustration, here is the word of the Lord for you. God promised to open rivers in high places and fountains in the midst of valleys. Isa 41:17-18
For some people, their rain of testimonies has been falling since January but they have not experienced a drop of water. It has been all-round wilderness orchestrated by wicked principalities in the heaven above, over their heads. That wilderness was programmed to finish them up with the end of the year. Now hear the word from the mouth of the Lord: "Your rains of testimonies have become so full and now become rivers of My goodness toward you, I will open the rivers from high places for you this month, you shall laugh last!" Amennnn!
I command rivers of your greatness in high places to flow down now and lift you up, out of the valleys of shame and stagnation, in the name of Jesus.
2. December: The power of last laughter
"And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me." Genesis 21:6
God will crown this year with turn-around laughter for you: a laughter that would shatter the confidence of your enemies and provoke breakthroughs that cannot be despised for you in Jesus' name.
Sarah laughed, Abraham laughed, Moses laughed, Joseph laughed, Joshua laughed, David laughed, Daniel laughed, the Apostles laughed, you too will laugh this season. God will laugh your enemies to scorn in Jesus name.
It is God's intention and plan for you to finish the year well. He made it a season of goodwill toward men. It is a season of peace.
Remember, this is the season of the birth of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. When he was born, the angels declared peace on earth and good will toward men. Wise men brought gifts to him. Position yourself to receive gifts this season. Sow a gift into someone's life for a harvest of gifts.
Weariness comes from long battles. Hopes tend to be dashed when the year is coming to an end. It might seem the battle is lost. But there will be one more twist in your favour! You must not give up. To finish strong, you must stand strong.
What to do
It is not what happens around you that matters but what happens within you. You can only finish well if you are stronger within.
1. Expect to finish well. Expectation is proof of your faith. Expectation creates a powerful current that pulls things into your life.
2. Talk expectations, not experiences. You shall have whatsoever you say.
3. Start planning to succeed in the coming year. Write down your goals and what you want to see happen. Write down the changes you want to make. This begins to focus your energy and creates a current of expectation and excitement. Most people will arrive at the New Year confused except those who have definite goals and plans.
4. Persevere. Never let go of your dream and your hope. A lot can happen within a few hours. It's not over yet. Hold on to your faith.
5. Stay close to the Holy Spirit. Pray a lot in tongues. Listen for instructions. You are one instruction away from your breakthrough.
6. Make wise choices. For example, ask yourself, 'must I travel?' 'Do I have the resources?' 'How does it fit into my master plan?' 'If I must travel, should I travel with my car that is not strong?'
7. Spend wisely and sensibly. Many people will be broke at the beginning of the year because they were not wise in their spending towards the end of the year. They got carried away by excitement and spent everything they had on things they did not need and on people who made demands on them.
8. Give thanks to God for your life; He will preserve it for you. Praise unlocks the door to His presence and blessings.
9. Don't stop paying your tithe or sowing seeds; your future depends on it.
10. Find out what is not working and change it. Find out what is working and strengthen it.
11. Start praying for your goals and your plans for the coming year and beyond.
12. End the year with God and transition into the New Year with God.
You will finish well. Instead of seasonal destruction, you will experience the season's blessings, peace and joy in Jesus name.
Rev (Dr) Olowojoba is Snr. Pastor of Dayspring Bible Church, Sabon-Lugbe, Abuja & President, Dayspring Christian Ministries Int'l.