4 December 2012

Namibia: Stoop Case Pits Brother Against Brother

Windhoek — Cross-examination continued for Ismael Tjikumiva the brother of the two men who allegedly killed the 78-year-old Gideon Johannes 'Oom Koos' Stoop.

It is alleged that two brothers George Tjikuao Katjingisua (29) and Erwin Kasorere Tjiueza Katjingisua (28), with the 27-year-old woman Nelsiene Utiapatie Kauaria killed Stoop in his flat in Cimbebasia, Windhoek, on the night of between August 28 and 29, 2009. The three are charged with murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

Tjikumiva informed the court that during the night in question his brother Erwin, who was staying with him, arrived at their room at around 19h00 and informed him that he had business with their other brother George. According to the witness, Erwin left wearing slip-ons that Tjikumiva had bought him. These were the same slip-ons he identified as part of the court exhibits and previously at the police station, while he was making his statement, the witness informed the court.

He further told the court how Erwin arrived back at the room at around 21h00 without the slip-ons and with a 10cm bloodstain on his left trouser leg, but without any visible injuries. When he asked about the bloodstain he was informed that Erwin and George along with a woman by the name of Nelsiene were involved in an accident. He further told the court that Erwin arrived with a TV and hair clippers and that he was interested in buying the TV, but was told that another buyer was already lined up to purchase the TV for N$600.

During cross-examination, Tjikumiva stuck to his version and told the court that it was the first time for him to be involved in such business and that if he omitted something from the statements he made it was because he was so scared that he even "sh*t" his pants.

The accused stole a Tedelex television set, one Panasonic car radio/tape, Wahl hair clippers and a Nokia cellphone. It is further alleged that aggravating circumstances are present because the accused were armed with a knife or knives and inflicted grievous bodily injuries to the deceased.

The case was previously on the roll for October this year, but had to be postponed since George Tjikuao Katjingisua escaped from lawful custody in July 2011 and was still at large at that time. The case continues before Judge Alfred Siboleka.

Copyright © 2012 New Era. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.