6 December 2012

Central Africa: Darfuri Refugees in Central Africa Demand Relocation

Central African Republic — Darfuri refugees from Sam Ounja camp in the Central African Republic have demanded international organizations and the UNHCR in particular, to intervene immediately and relocate them to another camp. The refugees claim they are in dire need of humanitarian aid, which is not provided in Sam Ounja camp.

One of the refugees told Radio Dabanga on Tuesday, 4 December, that a number of refugees refused a previous request from the UNHCR to relocate to Bambari camp. At the same time, more than 1465 refugees already agreed to move.

As a result of the refusal, organizations have stopped providing aid to the camp for a period of six months. The organizations imposed a six months' ultimatum in an attempt to convince the refugees to agree on relocating to Bambari camp.

Mohamed Abbeker Nour, camp sheikh, told Radio Dabanga that refugees who had previously refused to move to Bambari camp are now willing to relocate, due to the need of humanitarian aid. The sheikh added that the remaining refugees in Sam Ounja camp do not have access to clean drinking water, medical or educational services.

Copyright © 2012 Radio Dabanga. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.