The leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) yesterday ordered that the proposed congress of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) billed for Kano today be put on hold pending the resolution of some contentious issues.
This followed yesterday's development in Abuja where some club officials convened an emergency meeting, and after putting aside some articles in the NPL statutes, kicked out the chairman of the NPL board, Chief Victor Rumson Baribote for non-performance and corrupt practices. However, just as the newly constituted six-man interim committee set up by the club officials to manage the affairs of the NPL was getting set to hold its congress on Tuesday, December 11 in Kano, the NFF yesterday issued a statement directing that no congress of the NPL should hold.
It will be recalled that early last week, the NFF had issued the NPL with the go-ahead for its proposed congress but when a group of the premier league clubs yesterday brought a new twist to the crisis rocking the league, the football federation had to wield the big stick again.
NFF General Secretary, Barrister Musa Amadu, said: "We are in possession of a letter signed by a number of clubs owners.
"For us, there has to be sanity in the administration of the league, and that has to happen sooner rather than later. The NFF is uncomfortable with the continued delay in the commencement of the 2012/2013 Premier League season, which can only roll off the ground after the congress. But we fear there could be a breakdown of law and order should the congress go ahead on Thursday, 6th December, 2012".
Amadu also confirmed that the NFF Executive Committee would hold an emergency meeting on Friday to resolve several issues around the NPL, adding; "In the meantime, we implore all persons involved to exhibit high-level maturity and maintain calmness for the good of the Nigeria game".
A member of the group that impeached Baribote yesterday told Trustsports on condition of anonymity that NFF has done the right thing by stopping the proposed congress in Kano.
"The decision of the NFF is in order. I have no problem with it. The most important thing is that Baribote is gone for good. He has been a cog in the wheel of progress".