Arusha — Former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan this week urged Kenyans not to vote for politicians facing trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC), while officials with the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals Wednesday said that tracking three top Rwandan fugitives wanted for genocide would remain a priority.
Annan warns Kenyans: On Tuesday former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan urged Kenyans not to vote for politicians facing trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC), in next year's election. Annan, now African Union envoy overseeing the election, was speaking on a two-day visit to Kenya. The ICC suspects, who are candidates in the elections scheduled for March 2013, are Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta and MP William Ruto, who hope to run as president and deputy, respectively.
Last referral case to be determined next year: On Wednesday, ICTR President Judge Vagn Joensen announced that judges on appeal would deliver early next year the ruling on whether genocide-accused Bernard Munyagishari should be transferred to Rwanda. Presenting the Tribunal's six-monthly report to the UN Security Council in New York, Joensen said that unless the decision on the Munyagishari case was reversed on appeal, the Tribunal was expecting to complete its last seven pending appeals by the end of 2014.
Officials pledge endless search of top genocide-fugitives: Principal officials with the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals Wednesday said that tracking three top Rwandan fugitives wanted for genocide would remain a priority. President Theodor Meron was addressing the UN Security Council in New York when he urged the members to assist in this respect. Prosecutor Hassan Bubacar Jallow said tracking for alleged financier of the genocide Félicien Kabuga, former Defence Minister Augustin Bizimana and former presidential guard commander Protais Mpiranya, had been stepped up in the last six months and would not cease until the three were brought to justice.
Presentation of Bemba's defence case continues: On Monday (December 10), there will be continuation of presentation of defence evidence in the case of Jean-Pierre Bemba, who is charged with crimes against humanity and war crimes. The defence has already called 15 witnesses to the stand.
Appeal judges to deliver ruling in Gbagbo case: On Wednesday (December 12), appeal judges are expected to deliver a ruling in the case of former Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo regarding the jurisdiction of the court to conduct the trial of the former head of state.