11 December 2012

Liberia: Policeman Tortured to Death in Lofa

Reports reaching this paper have revealed that a police officer identified as G. Wilson Vesselee has died in Voinjama, Lofa County days after he was severely tortured allegedly upon the order of his commander, Voinjama Police Chief for Operation identified as Bangalee.

The late officer Vesselee was left with a broken leg and thrown into jail for allegedly failing to report to work for four days. It is alleged that he died on December 1, 2012, while in prison.

The late officer Vesselee's days of absence from work without a justifiable excuse was said to have infuriated his commander who ordered that he be disciplined and thrown into jail for days.

This paper gathered The reports say because officer Vesselee could not justified his absence from work, his boss allegedly ordered some other police officers to beat him (officer Vesselee) and put him in jail where he was until he died on December 1, 2012.

The deceased who graduated from the police academy in 2006 with class 9, informed his parents via mobile in Bong County about his ordeal before he could passed off.

The corpse of officer Vesselee was taken from Lofa County to Bong County by police authorities in the two counties. The body is currently deposited at the St. Kennedy Funeral Home in Bong County. Other information gathered by this paper said Officer Bangalee is in police custody in Bong County awaiting investigation.

But the sister of Vesselee, Evon Vesselee told the New Dawn that the suspect is not in police detention but rather is roaming around in Bong County with two men assigned to him.

Evon said she fears that the police authorities will do nothing to bring their brother alleged killer to justice. She wonder while up to now the authorities have not only refused to release her brother's body for proper burial but are also not saying anything about it.

When contacted an officers assigned at the Gbarnga police station who did not want to be named confided in this that it is true that officer Bangarlee actually ordered Vesselee to be beaten, something that led to his death, but declined further comment.

When the Police spokesman, Sam Collins was contacted in Monrovia, he walked into the offices of this paper but declined to comment on the issue, saying "no comment now."

Asked whether the no comment meant requesting for time to contact other sources before getting back to the paper, Mr. Collins shocked his head and stirred at the walls of this paper's editor's office and maintained: "no comment now," with a faint smile.

Copyright © 2012 The New Dawn. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.