Leadership (Abuja)

12 December 2012

Nigeria: FG, Chinese Firms Sign N162 Billion Zungeru Dam Contract

The federal government yesterday signed a N162 billion contract with two Chinese firms, Sino Hydro Corporation and China National Electric Engineering Corporation (CNEEC) for the construction of the Zungeru Hydro Electric dam in Niger State, in a fresh move to complete the project which was initiated as far back as 1982 when its feasibility studies were initially conducted.

The dam will take about four years (48 months) to complete and is expected to generate 700 Mega Watts (MW) of electricity when completed as well as create over a thousand jobs.

The project was originally conceived to be a 950mw plant but was reviewed downward in 2008 by Coyne et Bellier which provided the feasibility study and engineering design.

Under the arrangement, Exim bank of China will provide 75 per cent funding of the project while the federal government will provide the remaining 25 per cent.

Speaking during the signing ceremony in Abuja, Minister of State for Power, Zainab Kuchi, disclosed that the Nigerian government's share of the funding, which amounts to $309 million was already available in the ministry.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.