Abuja — There was pandemonium at the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, Wednesday, when what was later learnt to be a gas cylinder exploded thereby causing panic among the officers and men of the Nigerian military.
The explosion it was gathered, occurred at the Defence Headquarters Restaurant Kitchen at about 1: 30pm during a routine maintenance work.
The maintenance person who was refilling a fire extinguisher with gas without knowing there was a leak however, sustained a hand injury and was immediately taken to the hospital for treatment.
Confirming the incident in a statement, the Deputy Director of Defence Information, Group Capt. Adedayo Makun, said: "At about 1:30pm, there was an explosion at the Defence Headquarters restaurant kitchen. The explosion was caused by the mishandling of a gas cylinder during refilling process. There was no loss of life or damage to property.
"This information is necessary for the awareness of the general public who might have wondered what the cause of the loud explosion was. The general public is advised to go about their normal activities without fear or trepidation", the statement read.