Tunis — Interim Prime Minister Hamadi Jebali affirmed on Wednesday evening that the agreement concluded with Tunisia's General Labour Union (UGTT) to call off the general strike that was scheduled for Thursday is a win for Tunisia.
In an interview with private TV channel Hannibal, he declared that "Tunisia is not in need of strike but consensus to reach elections."
As regards the dissolution of the Revolution protection leagues, he said this decision falls on justice and not on the Government.
Speaking of the elections, Jebali said that next June 30 is a possible and necessary date, adding that the most important thing is that the National Constituent Assembly might change its working methods and rapidly fulfill its mission so as to speed up the organisation of the elections.
As to the recent events in Le Kef and Kasserine, Jebali affirmed that attempts to smuggle arms in Tunisia will continue as long as the causes of tension remain, denying news about training camps in Tunisia.
He said that four attempts to smuggle arms from Algeria had been thwarted, stressing the importance of coordination between Tunisia, Algeria and Libya to put an end to this cross-border arms dealing.