12 December 2012

Kenya: Maseno Student Poisons Self

A Maseno University student has been admitted to Kenyatta National Hospital's Intensive Care Unit for poisoning. Vincent Omondi, 20, took the poison yesterday morning as he was travelling from Meru to Nairobi in a Kensilver bus.

He started writhing in pain when the vehicle reached Ngara in Nairobi. Passenger Martin Baiyenia Mukenya said Omondi had been texting during the journey and seemed angry.

He said a private hospital in Ngara refused to admit Omondi because they do not offer their services to strangers but gave him first aid and referred him to KNH.

"His neighbour detected a strange smell but didn't realise what it was till he (Omondi) started screaming. The bus had ran out of fuel so we mobilised ourselves and raised some money which we used to hire a cab and took him to Kenyatta National Hospital," Mukenya said.

Omondi is believed to have drank Diazinon. Mukenya said one of Omondi's friends, whom they called on his cell phone, said he had updated on his Face Book page that he may commit suicide.

Copyright © 2012 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.