One of the critical projects, the 4th Lagos Mainland Bridge, which Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN)promised to execute during his second term in office, is yet to take off. During his re-election campaigns in 2011, Fashola had promised that his administration would construct a 4th Mainland Bridge to decongest traffic in the metropolis.
But LEADERSHIP SUNDAY learnt that the private sector, which the state government had relied on to fund the project through concession, was yet to show interest in it.
Sources in the ministries of the Environment and Works, said no progress had been made on the 4th Mainland Bridge.
"No company has come up to show interest in the construction of the project. In fact, the state government has not done any due diligence on the project while it has also not invited any company to come up with bid for the project," the officials said.
The state government's exclusion of the project in the 2013 budget has also raised fears over its execution.
In a reaction to the fears expressed over the project, the State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Dr. Hamzat Kadiri Obafemi, assured the people of the state that the bridge would be executed by the state government.
Hamzat, who acknowledged the concerns raised over the project, especially that the on going development of jetties along the axis of the bridge would hinder the project, said contrary to such notions, the state government would soon embark on the construction of the bridge.