17 December 2012

Namibia: Convicted Murderer Shaduka Sneaks Into Angola

Lazarus Shaduka, the businessman who is sought by the police in connection with his overturned sentence of 20 years in prison, is still at large, according to police information.

Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi told a media briefing yesterday that Shaduka went into Angola at the Oshikango border post at 14h40 on Thursday last week and has since not re-surfaced.

Police are asking members of the public to alert any police station to his whereabouts.

Meanwhile, a 58-year-old woman was run down by a car at the Black Chain crossing in Katutura.

Magdalena Bonfrancois was hit by a vehicle while she tried to cross the road. A case of culpable homicide was opened against the driver of the vehicle, although he was not arrested.

Kanguatjivi also told the media that a 29-year-old woman was arrested last week Friday after she stabbed her live-in boyfriend to death with a knife after a long argument.

According sources close to the couple, the pair was in a tumultuous relationship that bore them five children. The incident happened at München Street in Otjomuise.

The deceased was identified as 35-year-old Moses Narib and the suspect is expected to appear in court today.

Also on Friday, a 24-year-old man was stabbed to death at a shebeen in Katurura's Ongulumbashe informal settlement.

It is alleged an argument erupted between Erwin Russo and a group of people, when he was stabbed twice in the neck by someone belonging to the group.

He was taken to Katutura hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. The suspect is known to the police, but has not yet been arrested.

In a case of suicide, a 58-year-old woman, Ewaldine Hipwakwa, hanged herself with an electrical cord.

The body was discovered at 10h15 at Levitikus Street in Wanaheda.

The next of kin were informed and no foul play is suspected.

A young Namibian man drowned in the Oanob Dam on the outskirts of Rehoboth on Saturday.

No further particulars were released, but it is suspected that the man went swimming in the dam and drowned at approximately 16h00. His body was retrieved at 19h00.

Kanguatjivi also revealed that no suspects have been arrested in the gruesome case of arson last week where a seven-month-old baby boy was incinerated.

Police are following up leads and anyone with information is requested to contact the police.

Copyright © 2012 New Era. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.