The Star (Nairobi)

17 December 2012

Kenya: CID Wants DNA Test On Saitoti Son

THE Criminal Investigation Department has recommended that DNA tests be conducted to ascertain the parentage of Zachary Musengi, the only child of former Internal Security minister George Saitoti and his widow Margaret.

CID sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told the Star the police are unable to prove or disprove claims that Musengi is the biological long-lost son of a Subukia couple, Sebastian Maina Ngunju and Elizabeth Njeri. The sources said the only way to prove the parentage of Musengi was through a DNA investigation.

Sources further revealed that the Investigations Bureau and the Homicide sections at the CID headquarters came to the conclusion after recording statements from the Subukia couple.

The couple has filed a case against Margaret Saitoti, accusing her of stealing their son and concealing the kidnapping. Ngunju and his wife claim their son went missing in 1988 when he was three years old.

They filed a complaint with the police in 1988 in which they reported the disappearance. At one point, a woman was charged with stealing the child but was acquitted by a Nakuru court.

Yesterday, the Star established that investigators have also examined affidavits filed in court by Musengi who dismissed allegations by the Subukia couple that he was their stolen son as "attempts to extort money, blackmail threats to our lives and other attempts to invade our privacy".

The sources told the Star investigators are winding up their case. They are expected in the course of the week to hand over the findings to the Director of Public Prosecution Keriako Tobiko who ordered investigations into the matter.

CID Director Ndegwa Muhoro said yesterday that his officers are still investigating the matter. "I am not in a position to comment because I've not been briefed on the latest developments," he said, revealing that investigations started two weeks ago.

Lawyer Harry Gakinya, who is representing the couple said his clients were ready for a DNA test because "it is the only way the family will know whether Zachary is their child".

Gakinya said CID investigators last week questioned his clients on how their son went missing. He said the police told the family that while they have no doubt their son disappeared, they could not state clearly if Zachary is their missing son.

The police told the couple the CID will have completed their investigations by January 1, 2013 when they will also present a report of their findings.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.