18 December 2012

Zimbabwe: Peace Order Against Abusive Ex-Hubby

A Harare woman is reportedly at no peace with her ex-husband who insists that she should move back to their rural home following their divorce. Venencia Masvidu told a Harare civil court that her ex-husband Clemence Midzinga does not want to see her in Harare.

"He insults me with vulgar language in the presence of my church mates and tells me in front of the children that he divorced me because I am not sweet in bed.

"He approached my landlord and asked me why they were keeping me at their house because he knows that a divorced woman goes to the rural areas.

"Your worship do I have no right to stay in Harare now that I am divorced?"

She told the court that her ex-husband had approached her at her market where she was selling her wares and spit on her face before throwing away the wares.

The man, she said, also told her church pastor to turn her away from church because she was a prostitute. The pastor, she said, refused.

Midzinga refused to comment on his ex-wife's allegation but only said he was not in dispute with granting of the protection order.

Magistrate Ms Miriam Banda ordered Midzinga to observe peace towards Masvidu.

Copyright © 2012 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.