18 December 2012

Zambia: Shamenda Speaks Tough On Labour Violence

Labour and Social Security Minister Fackson Shamenda has warned that Government will not tolerate labour-related violence and assured workers of maximum protection.

Mr Shamenda said he was saddened that a Zambian worker was killed when he was justifiably demanding his delayed salary in Ndola last week.

He was speaking during the burial of Holland Kabaso, a resident of Chipulukusu Township who was shot dead on Thursday last week.

He was buried at Mitengo Cemetery in Ndola yesterday.

"Even if God said we will be dying, he should not have died in the manner that he died. This cannot be tolerated, Zambian laws do not allow what happened," he said.

Mr Shamenda who is Ndola Central Member of Parliament (MP) was accompanied by Copperbelt Minister Mwenya Musenge, Copperbelt Permanent Secretary Stanford Msichili, Ndola Mayor Davies Chiwala and labour officers.

He said Zambian workers in every field should be respected including domestic employees because they do jobs which the owners cannot manage to do.

He appealed to Zambians not to retaliate and that Mr Kabaso should be mourned with respect.

A Somalian Omar Mohammed Hashi, 30, of Flat Number 1, Catchpole Flat on Kopa Road near the town centre allegedly shot dead Mr kabaso last week on Thursday.

He appeared in court yesterday.

Mr Shamenda also urged foreign nationals to respect Zambians and the country's laws.

Mr Kabaso, 36, has left behind a wife and five children.

There was tight security at the funeral procession as police clad in anti-riot gear accompanied the body from Ndola Central Hospital Mortuary to the gravesite and patrolled the streets.

Police have also continued to keep vigil at trading places owned by Somalis and had been stationed in residences in Ndeke and Masala townships.

Hashi, appeared for mention before magistrate Ben Akende.

He will appear for another mention on January 3 next year as the court awaits instructions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to commit him to the High Court for trial.

Hashi is remanded at Ndola Remand Prison.

The shooting incident sparked a riot in which two Zambians were shot and wounded.

Father of one of the victims of police shooting Richard Mutale said he was concerned that the bullet which lodged in his son's neck has not been removed.

Mr Mutale said since the incident happened on Friday, his son, Richard Jr , has been lying in agony with a bullet lodged in his neck.

"They told us he will go to the theatre on Monday (yesterday) but we hope treatment will not be delayed because my son is in pain," he said.

Inspector General of police Stellah Libongani confirmed yesterday that two people were shot and wounded while six police officers were injured during the riot on Friday last week.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2012 The Times of Zambia. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.