19 December 2012

Namibia: Husab Uranium Commissions N$1 Billion Equipment

Windhoek — Barloworld Equipment has been awarded a contract in excess of US$130 million (over N$1 billion at current exchange rate) by Swakop Uranium for mining equipment for the Husab uranium project in Namibia.

The order is for the supply, assembly and commissioning of three Cat 6060FS hydraulic face shovels, three 7495 electric rope shovels, six MD6290 rotary blasthole drill rigs, two MD6640 rotary blasthole drills and two C175 diesel engine motivators.

The order has been placed with Barloworld Equipment's Extended Mining Product Range (EMPR) business, which was formed to sell and support legacy Bucyrus products re-branded to Cat following Caterpillar's acquisition of Bucyrus in 2011.

This represents the most significant EMPR transaction for Barloworld since its appointment as the dealer for the extended range of mining products in mid-2012. Most of the new machines will be commissioned in 2014.

The Husab project, located about 50km to the east of Swakopmund, is regarded as the most important uranium discovery of recent years and will elevate Namibia to the third biggest uranium producer in the world.

Swakop Uranium is 90 percent owned by Taurus Minerals, a subsidiary of China Guangdong Nuclear Power Holding Co (CGNPC). Namibia's state-owned Epangelo Mining owns the remaining 10 percent.

Husab has a potential mine life of more than 20 years, with uranium reserves of at least 280 million tonnes. First production is expected towards the end of 2015, ramping up to full production by 2017. Mining will be from two separate open pits feeding a single process plant.

Copyright © 2012 New Era. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.