20 December 2012

Uganda: Govt Probes Mbale Council Over Land

The Ministry of Local Government has launched an investigation into the alleged illegal parceling out of Mbale municipal council land.

Local Government Minister Adolf Mwesige recently wrote to Mayor Mutwalib Zandya, asking for a report into claims of illegal land dealings.

"The ministry of Local Government has received persistent reports that there is widespread selling, leasing, purchasing and sharing of land in Mbale municipality without due regard to regulations and procedures," Mwesige wrote.

The minister was also concerned that sitting tenants on council land were being evicted and their property destroyed contrary to established procedure.

"We shall soon constitute a team of inspectors to carry out investigations into the reports received by the ministry on the above allegations and stern action including removal from office will be taken," Mwesige warned.

Land matters in Mbale municipality have previously been contentious, and reacting to the news, Municipal Speaker Abbey Makwasi said: "Yes, there is gross mismanagement of land in this town and Mbale municipal council has a hand ... I welcome the investigations."

Copyright © 2012 The Observer. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.