21 December 2012

Zimbabwe: Zifa Ordered to Pay Lawyer

The Zimbabwe Football Association were yesterday ordered by the Harare civil court to pay a lawyer they had engaged to determine an appeal lodged by Njube Sundowns. The football body was ordered to pay Marufu Mandevere US$1 300 for his services. Mandevere was represented by his lawyer Mr Kudzai Kadzere of Kadzere, Hungwe and Mandevere legal practitioners.

In their absence Zifa were ordered to pay the debt of US$1 300 plus five percent per annum as interest from September 7, 2011 to the date of judgment.

In his filling affidavit Mandevere told the court that on June 17, 2011 he was appointed to a Zifa appeals committee to determine an appeal lodged against match administration by Njube Sundowns.

The team wrote to Zifa complaining against match administration in the Zifa PSL 2009 qualifier play-offs held in Kwekwe, Baghdad and Torwood stadiums. The teams involved were Njube Sundowns, Quelaton, Masvingo United and Black Mambas Football Club.

They said the games were marred with principles that conflicted with proper rules of football. They also indicated that the competition was not handled properly and professionally.

"It turned out that the committee members were handpicked by Zifa office and most of them if not all were from the Northern region including the referee.

"We are also petitioning against the ambush tactics in the tournament and Admore Chivero was verbally abused by Cosmos Chafa using unprintable words in front of officials.

"Quelaton versus Njube Sundowns was moved to Bagdad Stadium under protest therefore the game commenced late and it was called off by the referee," read part of the letter

Mandevere proceeded to arrange other members for the hearing. He later managed to arrange with one Mr Muzawazi. He then advised Zifa through a letter dated June 30, 2011 suggesting that all parties involved should be given adequate notice.

On July 2011, Mandevere and Muzawazi met to deliberate on the matter. On August 2011 arguments were heard and judgment was handed on September 7, 2011.

The agreed rate for the committee members were US$200 per hour and the total hours spent were six and half.

Mandevere added that payment was promised in two weeks and after several demands Zifa failed to settle the debt.

"It is now one year three months without this small amount being settled. There is no commitment from Zifa that it intends to settle the matter despite the fact that service was rendered," he said.

Copyright © 2012 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.