The landlord of a two-storey building, Mr Joseph Nwachukwu, escaped death by whiskers as his property was gutted by fire in Aba, Abia.
Mr Chizoba Nwachukwu, the eldest son of Nwachukwu, made this known to newsmen in Aba Friday.
Nwachukwu told newsmen that his mother was on her way back home when she saw the house in flames.
"She rushed to see my dad alone in the room and saved him first before calling for help from the neighbourhood," he said.
He said that the fire, which started from a tenant's apartment, razed the building at 17 Joe Express Street, near Ariaria International Market on Thursday.
The eldest son said that his father who had been suffering from stroke before the inferno was rescued while the property, including cash was gutted by fire.
"Every other thing in our flat was completely burnt. All I have laboured for in life are no more. The only thing I have is this cloth I am wearing."
He said that the people who came to their rescue could not enter their flat because of electric shock from the boiler and gave the cost of the damage including cash to be over N3 million.
He alleged that the fire outbreak was caused by their neighbour , who allegedly left an electric boiler on.