Kano — Following the attacks launched by two suicide bombers on MTN and Airtel telecommunication facilities on Saturday, the Joint Military Task Force (JTF) has intensified security presence within Kano metropolis ahead of Christmas and New Year Celebrations.
Captain Ikedichi Iweha, the spokesman for the JTF in Kano told Daily Trust yesterday that some of the checkpoints across the metropolis that were previously dismantled were reintroduced as part of measures to ensure peaceful Christmas and New Year celebrations.
He said vehicular searches were being conducted and that mobile police units had been drafted to many parts of the state to monitor human activities.
Iweha also called on members of the public to go about their normal activities and to report any suspicious activity.
Our reporter noticed several teams of soldiers and police personnel patrolling major parts of the metropolis.
Meanwhile, Airtel's call service was restored in Kano almost 24 hours after it was disrupted by yesterday's bomb attack on the telecommunications company's equipment.
Some Airtel customers who spoke to our reporter said they were able to make and receive calls.