27 December 2012

Egypt: SCC Convenes With Fewer Judges

As Egypt struggles to set up a new political system, a new body has assumed law making powers. The upper house of parliament, the Shura Council, has ... ( Resource: Egypt's Parliament Sets Agenda Ahead of Polls

The Supreme Constitutional Court (SCC) convened its general assembly for the first time on Thursday 27/12/2012 following the removal of seven judges as mandated by the recently approved constitution.

Article no. 233 of the new Constitution, which was officially approved on Tuesday 25/12/2012, stipulates that the 10 longest-serving judges among its members make up the court, in addition to the current president.

Previously the court's bench was comprised of 18 judges, some of whom are being reassigned to their previous positions.

Six members have returned to their previous jobs for other courts: Hamdan Fahmy, Ragab Selim, Mahmoud Ghoneim and Hatem Bagato as commissioners for the Supreme Constitutional Court, Hassan Badrawy to the Court of the Cassation and Polas Fahmy to the Cairo Court of Appeals. The seventh former judge, Tahani al-Gebali, who worked as a lawyer before her appointment to the court, resumed her legal practice.

Copyright © 2012 Egypt State Information Service. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.