31 December 2012

Nigeria: Fire Guts Section of Lagos Deputy Governor's Residence

A major fire disaster was averted yesterday when power surge ignited fire that gutted a section of the residence of the Lagos State Governor, Princess Adejoke Orelope -Adefulire located in the state government secretariat in highbrow Osborne Ikoyi area of the state.

Our correspondent gathered that the source of the fire, which damaged some fittings of the boys' quarters, was traced to a power surge.

An eye witness explained that the surge occurred after electricity supply from the public mains was restored with high voltage.

According to him: "The building was almost going up in flames. We noticed smoke coming out the corridor and the smell of wire was everywhere. We had to raise an alarm to put out the fire.

"The state fire service which is a stone throw to the deputy governor's house responded swiftly to put out the fire," he said

The Managing Director Lagos Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe said there was no cause for alarm, adding that the fire was caused from the fire in the electrical conjunction box which could easily be contained by any trained electrical personnel.

Copyright © 2012 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.