31 December 2012

Zimbabwe: Robbers Hit Bazaar, Make Off With U.S. $150 000

ROBBERS early yesterday morning pounced on Mt Darwin Bazaar, tying security guards with laces before making off with US$150 000 that had been realised from the Christmas holiday sales. Businessman Mr Sambama Kanopupa operates Mt Darwin Bazaar and also runs a service station and a wholesale in the area.

Mr Kanopupa's wife collapsed and was rushed to hospital after receiving the shocking news.

Mashonaland Central police spokesperson Assistant Inspector Petros Masikati confirmed receiving the report, saying investigations were in progress.

"Police received the information around 2am and CID Mt Darwin together with Bindura Dogs' Section attended the scene.

"Investigations are underway," he said.

Asst Insp Masikati said the robbers, whose number could not be confirmed, arrived as one of the guards slept and they tied him with shoelaces.

When the other guard heard the noise, Asst Insp Masikati said, he rushed to investigate.

The second guard was also tied with a pair of his socks before the two were bundled at the parcel corner.

Mt Darwin Bazaar finance director and son to owner Mr Absalom Kanopupa told The Herald that the money had been realised from the supermarket, service station and wholesale over the Christmas holiday.

"The money had been realised from the holiday sales at the wholesale, service station and supermarket.

"US$70 000 and R30 000 was stolen from the safe and more money was stolen from the drawer bringing the total stolen money to US$150 000.

"The money that was in the drawer had been realised from the Friday and Saturday sales.

"My mother collapsed after receiving the robbery news and she is admitted in hospital. That is where my father is," said Mr Kanopupa.

Mr Kanopupa said a security guard who was manning a neighbouring shop witnessed the arrival of the robbers.

"Upon realising that robbers had pounced, a security officer guarding the next shop phoned his boss who in turn phoned my father and the police.

"When the police arrived, the culprits had already left," he said.

Mr Kanopupa said the guards were picked up by the police for questioning.

But Asst Insp Masikati said police had not yet made any arrests.

"The guards could have been picked up but so far, they are no arrests.

"Investigations are still in progress but we hope to bring the perpetrators to book soon," he said.

Copyright © 2012 The Herald. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.