AFRICAN champions Al Ahly have dropped their bid for Zimbabwe international Edward Sadomba after negotiations broke down as the parties could not agree on important issues. According to reports from Egypt, Ahly who were last week reported to have developed keen interest in the 29-year old striker, announced yesterday that they are no longer pursuing his signature as they were frustrated by the player's demands.
The reigning African Champions Ahly are searching for a new striker and Sadomba, who plays for Sudanese side Al-Hilal, was one of their targets during the January transfer window.
But the club's marketing manager Magdy Tolba told the Egyptian media that they had failed to agree with Sadomba and were now looking elsewhere to beef up their squad.
"We are not interested in signing Sadomba any more as there were too many demands during the negotiations," Ahly's marketing manager Magdy Tolba told the club's official website.
"We are currently choosing from some other African strikers," he added.
Sadomba who has received numerous offers in Africa has maintained that he is still weighing his options.
After enjoying a colourful spell at Sudanese side Al Hilal since 2009 when he joined them from Mozambican outfit Liga Muculmana, Sadomba indicated that it was time to move elsewhere.
He had established himself at Hilal where, besides various domestic medals, he scaled heights in the inter-club competitions to become the country's all time leading scorer in the Caf competitions after breaking a 10-year record of 20 goals previously held by veteran El Merreikh striker Faisal Al Jab.
Sadomba's five goals for Al Hilal in the 2012 Caf Confederation Cup campaign which ended him as the joint top scorer with AC Leopards' Rudy Guelord Bhebey-Ndey and Ismaila Diarra who plays for CO Bamako in Mali, took his tally on the continental competitions to 23 goals.
Ahly were certainly charmed by Sadomba's goal-scoring abilities and had indicated a strong interest in the player as they currently prepare for the Egyptian Premier League season, which will resume on February 2, a year after it had been suspended due to rioting in Port Said that claimed the lives of 74 fans.
The AL Ahly technical staff headed by Hossam El-Badry want to bolster their squad during the current transfer window by bringing in three new players and they had targeted Sadomba while looking for a goalkeeper and a midfielder.
While they are looking forward to the resumption of the domestic league after a one year hiatus, Al Ahly are also preparing to defend their Champions League title.
They begin this year's campaign in the first round and may clash with Sadomba's former team Dynamos in the second round should DeMbare negotiate their way up to that stage.
Meanwhile, former Zimbabwe international Method Mwanjali faces an uncertain future at Mamelodi Sundowns as his three-year contract comes to an end in June.
According to sources from South Africa, Mwanjali's contract is unlikely to be renewed while the club's new coach Pitso Mosimane will have to decide on whether to keep Esrom Nyandoro and Nyasha Mushekwi in the system. Reports in South Africa indicate that Sundowns may consider off-loading some of their players to trim the club's huge salary bill.