Several residents of the King Gray community were left homeless early New Year's day after a neighbor's house caught on fire and spread. According to eyewitnesses the occupant of the house where the fire began was still asleep when community members broke down the door to rescue him. The witnesses continued that the man was not using a candle because a battery-operated light fixture was hanging on the man's wall upon his rescue.
Four other homes were also gutted by the furious-spreading fire thereby leaving several six family occupants homeless. However two fire trucks from the Liberia Fire Service went on the scene and extinguished the flames, but not before the homes were destroyed to rubbles.
Many neighbors that spoke with this newspaper said that the cause of the fire has not been established but they are certain it was not due to a candle, generator or cigarette smoking.
The victim's house where it is alleged the blaze started had found refuge in another community and could not be interviewed by this paper.
When the Liberia National Police was contacted, it could not give any information on the issue because an investigation is ongoing into the actual cause of the fire.