3 January 2013

Kenya: Mudslide Victims May Get Forest Land

The government will resettle more than 1,000 people who have been displaced by mudslides and floods in Kerio Valley. The families live in areas prone to heavy floods every year.

Minister for Special Programmes Esther Murugi, however says the families will surrender their land in Kerio Valley to the government which will in turn give them part of the forest land in safer areas near the valley.

The land exchange programme was agreed by the victims during a meeting with Murugi who visited the displaced families. The minister said she will propose to the cabinet to approve the exchange of land plan.

"I think the proposal you have made is workable and mine is to listen and inform the government which has to approve such a plan," said Murugi.

She said it will be difficult for the government to get alternative land for the victims, but the exchange plan will work because the area in Kerio Valley has forest land on the upper side of the escarpments where floods are least possible.

Murugi met with the families at Cheptebo area where she said some of them had delayed to leave the region as advised by the government before the heavy rains began.

Copyright © 2013 The Star. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.