A storey building on Igando Road, Lagos, yesterday went up in flames, destroying property which monetary value could not be immediately ascertained.
The cause of the fire said to have started at about 11a.m. was unknown. but report said it started from a flat on the ground floor.
A resident who reportedly noticed smoke emanating from the affected flat raised alarm which alerted others.
Some of the occupants reportedly sustained minor injuries in the resultant stampede.
Youths in the area were said to have battled hard to put out the fire and at the same time prevent it from spreading to other flats.
Their efforts were aided by that from the fire service which later arrived the scene and put out the fire.
Policemen from Igando division were reportedly drafted to the scene to safeguard property that were salvaged by the occupants.
No life was lost according to Police sources.