4 January 2013

Namibia: Crime 'Relatively Quiet' Over Festive Season

DEPUTY Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi, a police spokesperson, says it was "relatively quiet" on the crime scene over the past New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, especially in and around Windhoek.

He says it is partly as result of success with the closing time of shebeens. "We managed to close shebeens early. There was cooperation with shebeen owners."

Kanguatjivi said that a man was arrested in the Okamwandi location in Elondo West in the Onesi constituency after midnight on January 1.

This came after he allegedly fired a number of shots in the air.

The police spokesperson said the accused, Awiindika Soini (34), is a member of the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) and is based in Windhoek.

The police confiscated the pistol and warned Soini to appear in court. He appeared in the Outapi Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.

No one was injured.

At about 17h00 on January 1, Absalom Rebeus (55) lost control over his Toyota Hilux bakkie and it overturned. Rebeus died on the spot.

A passenger, Thomas Hango (62), later succumbed to his injuries in the Okahao District Hospital.

The accident took place on the road between Omakange and Okahao.

Another passenger, Leevi Amukwaya (22), survived the accident but sustained serious injuries. He is in a stable condition in the Okahao District Hospital.

On the same day, at about 23h57 on the Tsandi-Okahao main road, the driver of a Toyota Corolla lost control over his vehicle and it overturned.

A passenger, Mekondjo Sheya (21), died in the accident.

The driver, Aaron Shindume, is being treated in the Tsandi Healthcare Centre where he is in a stable condition.

Another passenger, Ipinge Job, is in a serious condition in the Oshakati State Hospital.

Shortly after the start of the new year - at about 00h30 - Mervin Muniondjo (23) died after he was stabbed in the neck with a knife - allegedly by 30-year-old Phillipus Hamutenya.

The incident took place in the Omuramba village in the Otjituuo district in the Otjozondjupa Region.

It is alleged that the accused and the deceased were quarrelling while under the influence of alcohol.

After being stabbed, the deceased walked from the scene after which he collapsed and died, Kanguatjivi said.

At about 23h45 on December 31, a member of the NDF who was allegedly under the influence of alcohol, Earl Gamseb (47), died after he fell down next to a power transformer box and was electrocuted. He died on the spot, Kanguatjivi said.

The incident took place in Okahandja where Gamseb was based.

José Fernando Defreitas Bacalhau (36) committed suicide on Farm Okatjondangi in the Osire district during the early hours of December 31.

Kanguatjivi said no foul play is suspected.

A 17-year-old boy was arrested at Kalkfeld on December 31 after he allegedly stabbed Serri Hoeseb (19) with a broken bottle in the neck.

Hoeseb was transported to Windhoek to the Katutura State Hospital for treatment.

Copyright © 2013 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.