4 January 2013

Namibia: Shaduka Still On the Run

By yesterday, Lazarus Shaduka, the businessman who has to serve a jail term for the murder of his wife, was still on the run.

Police spokesperson Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi said that there was still no trace of Shaduka.

In December, the Namibian Police roped in the assistance of Interpol to try and get him behind bars.

Deputy Commissioner Silvanus Nghishidimbwa, the Khomas Regional Crime Investigation Coordinator, on December 18 said: "All our sources and channels have been activated to look for him. Interpol is one of our sources."

The acting regional commander of the Ohangwena Region from where Shaduka entered Angola, Deputy Commissioner John Lifasi, also in December said that a senior police officer from that region travelled to Angola to brief the police there that Shaduka is wanted in Namibia. "He informed them about the Shaduka issue and solicited their assistance." According to Kanguatjivi, Shaduka had crossed the Namibian border into Angola at Oshikango on Thursday, December 13 at 14h40.

Prosecutor General Martha Imalwa told The Namibian in December that she had been informed by the police that Shaduka had crossed the border into Angola.

She said she told the police that he must be apprehended so that he can start to serve the jail term the Supreme Court sentenced him to. In terms of current Namibian law a person involved in an appeal in a criminal case is not required to be present in court when the appeal court hands down its judgement.

Shaduka was also not present in the Supreme Court when the court's judgement was delivered and his conviction on a charge of culpable homicide was changed to a conviction on a charge of murder. His legal representative was present in court, though. The Supreme Court also replaced the sentence of one year's imprisonment, or the payment of a fine of N$25 000, which he received at the end of his trial in the High Court in Windhoek on August 30 2010, with a sentence of 20 years' imprisonment. Shaduka (39) was convicted of murdering his wife, Selma Shaimemanya (33), in the couple's home in Klein Windhoek on July 13 2008. Shaimemanya died from a single gunshot to her upper back.

He was arrested on the night of his wife's death, and spent more than two years in custody before he was released after he had paid the N$25 000 fine on the day his trial ended.

A warrant of detention which was issued at the Supreme Court following the delivery of the appeal judgement was supposed to spell the end of the more than two years and three months that Shaduka has been free following the end of his trial. But with Shaduka not present at court, the police first had to find him to execute the warrant.

Copyright © 2013 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.