opinionBy Brenda Phiri
It seems like yesterday when teens all over the country were stuck in school and anticipating the much-awaited festive holidays. It is the longest and most eventful school holiday and everyone just loves it.
Well, it came and went - but before we move to the next chapter let's recap the fun and excitement.
Since the beginning of festive season, teens have been gracing newspapers for the wrong reasons.
In the name of having fun and indulging in reckless behaviour some lives have been lost.
As a teen paper, it is part of our responsibility to urge all you cool guys to exercise caution as you hang out and have fun with your friends.
Cool Lifestyle understands that accidents do happen and it is unfortunate that some emerge from the blue.
At times they are unavoidable so it is part of growing up to go through them.
Sometimes unfortunate events serve as life lessons that are there to make us better people.
Rewind to the time when you were still little and your mother would not let you play with a lit candle. The only way you had to learn was to have you feel the heat with the tip of your hand in order to know better the dangers of playing with fire.
The teen age is a time where experiments and expeditions are the norm and some are lucky to come out unscathed while some have permanent scars. The extreme case, however, is death; do not think it cannot happen to you because no one is immune.
We are all human and no matter what, but if you can avoid mistakes then please do.
Early this week, a fellow teen from Masvingo lost his life in an incident suspected to involve fire crackers.
Photographs of the deceased teen were doing the rounds on social networks.
Again last year in November, the media was awash with news of a 17-year-old girl who lost her life in a car crash after a night out with a friend. We sympathise with the families of the deceased but we would like the teens to learn from this and think deeply about their actions and their consequences.
Many a times, you get to see a couple of rude youngsters who are in the habit of recklessly throwing around fire crackers at unsuspecting people. It might seem to be the coolest thing under the sun to be rebellious but it's your life you are putting in danger.
There are many places that you see with the "No under 18" sign clearly written on it. For some minors, this is a clear invitation.
The reason why minors are being barred from s uch places is because they are inappropriate.
Despite this, teens sneak into clubs and fake their ages to gain access.
You expose yourself to all types of abuse from intoxicated perverts. Tineyi Gororo (17) from Chitungwiza volunteered to share his experience with Cool Lifestyle.
"Two weeks ago, my friends and I thought it would be cool to sneak into a club in the city centre.
"When we got to the entrance, the guard demanded to see our IDs but after convincing him that we had left them home and bribing him a bit of cash he let us off the hook.
"We were pretty excited about the whole thing and as soon as we hit the dance floor we got pounced on by four men.
"They dragged us to a corner and demanded our money and cellphones. No one could see this because the club was packed and people were busy drinking and having fun.
"It was the worst night of my life, we realised that it was obvious to everyone that we were just a bunch of minors so it made us an easy target," he said.
What we are saying at the end of the day is that it does not hurt to do what you are supposed to do.
It is always better to be safe than sorry, your life is not a movie. When you make a mistake, you can not erase it and start over.