7 January 2013

Namibia: N$20 000 On Shaduka's Head

THE Namibian Police are offering a reward of N$20 000 for any information which will lead to the arrest of businessman Lazarus Shaduka (39).

Deputy Commissioner Edwin Kanguatjivi, a police spokesperson, made the announcement yesterday.

This came after there has been no trace of the businessman - wanted to serve a 20-year prison term for murdering his wife - since he slipped into Angola on December 13.

Kanguatjivi called on anyone with information about Shaduka's whereabouts to contact Detective Inspector Zachariah Amakali at 081 249 9692 or Detective Chief Inspector Barry de Klerk at 081 129 0054 or Deputy Commissioner Silvanus Nghishidimbwa at 081 338 5358.

Kanguatjivi said Shaduka "must be a man and hand himself over - that's my message to him".

Following an appeal by the State, the Supreme Court changed Shaduka's conviction on a charge of culpable homicide to that of murder.

A one-year prison term, or a fine of N$25 000, which Shaduka received at the end of his trial in the High Court in Windhoek on August 30 2010, was also replaced by the Supreme Court with a 20-year prison term.

Shaduka was convicted of murdering his wife, Selma Shaimemanya (33), in the couple's home in Klein Windhoek on July 13 2008. Shaimemanya died from a single gunshot to her upper back.

He was arrested on the night of his wife's death, and spent more than two years in custody before he was released after he had paid the N$25 000 fine on the day his trial ended.

A warrant of detention which was issued at the Supreme Court following the delivery of the appeal judgement was supposed to spell the end of the more than two years and three months that Shaduka had been free following the end of his trial.

Meanwhile, Edward Robert Anderson (61) died at about 03h30 on Friday after his rental car overturned near the Katutura State Hospital.

The South African national arrived in Namibia on Thursday and was meant to leave again on Saturday.

Although the purpose of his most recent visit is unclear, Anderson apparently visited Namibia occasionally for business purposes.

Saul Garoëb, who was in custody for alleged arson, died in the Katutura State Hospital on Thursday at 20h30.

This came after he was admitted to this hospital's acute care division in December after he "fell ill", Kanguatjivi said.

He was arrested in connection with an arson case on August 20 2012 and was refused bail after his first court appearance.

Rex Sheehama is expected to lodge a formal bail application in the Opuwo Magistrate's Court today after he was refused bail on Friday.

He was arrested after he allegedly tried to shoot an eagle in a tree and then killed a passerby.

The incident took place late last month.

Augustinus Hangula (69) was arrested near Kamanjab on Thursday - after he also accidentally shot and wounded someone.

It is alleged that Hangula shot at baboons that were chasing his lambs.

As he wanted to put back the rifle in his house, a shot went off which struck a 16-year-old girl.

Copyright © 2013 The Namibian. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.