MULTIPLE award winning filmmaker Vickson Hangula says despite the Namibia Film Commission's quest to get its house in order, there are those who still disregard the rules to suit their intentions.
Hangula's comments come after The Namibian on Friday reported that a South Africa-based caterer contracted for the filming of the Mad Max sequel movie, ran up a N$200 000 debt with coastal businesses and skipped back home without paying.
Mango Catering last week said they did not dodge their responsibilities but are suing Kennedy Miller Mitchell Production for damages because they breached their contact.
Hangula, who is also a board member of the NFC, said "we are still in the process of getting our house in order but unfortunately until such time that we are well organised, we will still have incidents such as that one".
Some sources say the decision by the international filmmaker to give the catering tender for Mad Max to a SA company has proved that local companies are sidelined most of the time when foreign filmmakers shoot here.
However Hangula declined to conclude who is at fault, saying the same would have happened if it was a local company.
Meanwhile, Pieter Myburgh, manager at the Swakopmund branch of Fruit & Veg City, which is one of the companies that offered products to Mango Catering, warned other suppliers who might deal with international companies in future to prefer cash or no deal.
The NFC was established in 2000 under Namibia's Ministry of Information and Communication Technology to develop a sustainable local film industry.
The NFC last year appointed international production consultant Martin Cuff to explore the introduction of incentives, which it hopes to have in place by 2014.