The three minor children who died in a shack fire at the Saamstaan residential area in Usakos over the weekend have been identified as two- year-old twins Hope and Faith Dlamini, and three-year-old Eldo Dlamini.
The three died after the shack which they shared with their mother burned down while their mother was apparently at church.
"Our investigations continue, but the indication at the moment is that the fire was caused by a candle which we suspect the children's mother left burning when she went to church. At the moment, we have not received any counter indications to suggest the fire was caused by anything else," said Nampol's Erongo Regional Commander, Commissioner Samuel //Hoebeb.
//Hoebeb added that appropriate action will be taken by the courts once police investigations are concluded, adding that no arrests had been made thus far.
He further appealed to Namibians to be cautious whenever handling candles, stoves or any fire appliances.
"Candles have and continue to be the common causes of many fire out breaks. We cannot afford to continue losing lives in this manner. Let us exercise caution," he said.