Aswat Masriya (Cairo)

13 January 2013

Egypt Interior Ministry - Fight Led to Attack of Demonstration

Egypt's Interior Ministry said on Sunday that a fight between someone and one of the protesters led to Saturday's attack on the demonstration by the presidential palace.

Four men have been arrested as defendants while investigations continue, ministry spokesman said on Sunday.

In a Facebook statement, the ministry said that investigations have so far revealed that a scuffle between one of the now-arrested defendants and a protester started the attack that led to more than 15 injuries on Saturday.

The defendant had apparently come back with his neighbors and acquaintances following the confrontation with the protester and threw petrol bombs and fired birdshots at the protesters, burning four of their tents.

Some members of the central security forces were also injured during their attempt to contain the violence.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Aswat Masriya. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.