Mogadishu — Somalia 's federal government has condemned last week 's military operation by French commandos aiming to rescue a French intelligence agent held hostage by Al Shabaab militants in southern Somalia, Garowe Online reports.
Somali Cabinet ministers met in Mogadishu and Foreign Minister Fosia Yusuf Haji Aden later told a press conference at the government 'condemns ' the military operation.
"We regret this military operation and we condemn the unilateral action taken without the [Somali] Government 's knowledge. The Somali Federal Government sends condolences to the dead victims, including Somali victims and French soldiers, " said Minister Fosia.
French government leaders have said that Friday night 's military operation in Bulo Marer village of Lower Shabelle region ended in failure. French officials have said one French soldier was killed and another was 'missing ' , while adding that the hostage, Denis Allex, is 'believe d' to be dead.
French officials have also stated that 17 Al Shabaab militants were killed in the nighttime military operation.
Al Shabaab militants have claimed that the hostage, Mr. Allex, is alive. Militants in Mogadishu kidnapped Mr. Allex in 2009. The militants have also claimed that they killed and captured a number of French soldiers.
Foreign militaries have taken unilateral action in Somalia to rescue their nationals from captivity during the years since the collapse of the Somali central government in 1991.