15 January 2013

Nigeria: Cleric, Wife Assault Child With Hot Charcoal

Osogbo — An Osogbo Chief Magistrates' Court on Tuesday remanded a cleric, Ajibaye Elikana, 49, and his wife, Elizabeth, in prison custody for allegedly pouring hot charcoal on their child.

The Police Prosecutor, Sgt. Elisha Olusegun, told the court that the couple conspired and caused bodily harm to their 12-year old son on Jan. 2 at Okinni area of Osogbo.

Olusegun said the cleric and his wife tied the hands and legs of their son with a rope and bathed him with hot charcoal.

According to Olusegun, the victim was abandoned on the street where he was picked up by a good Samaritan for treatment and taken to the Central Juvenile Welfare Centre.

He said the offence committed contravened Sections 516, 335 and 351 of the Criminal Code Cap 34 Vol. 11 Laws of Osun, 2003.

The accused persons, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges and their counsel, Mr O.O. Alabi, applied for their bail.

But Chief Magistrate Adebayo Lasisi ordered the remand of the couple in prison custody and adjourned the case to Jan. 21 for bail consideration.

Lasisi also ordered that the victim be brought to court on the next adjourned date to ascertain his condition. (NAN)

Copyright © 2013 Vanguard. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.