Khartoum — A statement issued by the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan on Wednesday, 16 January, confirms the biggest forced displacement in Darfur since years.
A dispute between Abbala and Benni Hussein tribesmen led to the spark of hostilities in the gold mining area of Jebel 'Amer, North Darfur, on 6 January. Initial reports suggested that at least 60,000 workers fled the region in the first two days of clashes.
Mr. Ali Al-Za'tari, UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, said in the statement that inter-tribal fighting in the Jebel 'Amer gold mining areas of North Darfur has left more than 100 people dead and forced an estimated 70,000 people to flee their homes and seek refuge in places like Al-Seraif, Saraf Omra, Garra Az Azawiya, Kabkabiya and Abu Gamra.
Radio Dabanga reported earlier this week that an estimated 100,000 people were forced to flee their homes after clashes between the Arab tribes of Abbala and Beni Hussein erupted in the Jebel 'Amer gold mining areas of North Darfur over the past few weeks.
The statement expressed deep concern about the fighting and added that the UN as well as aid organizations have been working with state and federal government authorities and UNAMID in an attempt to provide urgent aid to all affected civilians.
Furthermore, the statement said that the largest concentration of displaced people is in Al-Seraif, where thousands of people are in urgent need of food, water, shelter and medical attention. Humanitarian agencies were able to deliver some medical supplies to the area in the meantime. Also, food aid convoys are on their way to the area despite continued tension among armed tribesmen.
East Jebel Marra
Lastly, it was added that fighting between government forces and armed groups in the locality of East Jebel Marra in Central Darfur recently has led to the displacement of more than 30,000 people, according to the Sudan Humanitarian Aid Commission.