Kuma — Four Chinese employees of a Chinese construction company, who were abducted from Kuma locality in North Darfur, have been released, state officials said on Wednesday, 16 January.
Unidentified gunmen had kidnapped the Chinese workers on Saturday near El Fasher in North Darfur. China's ambassador to Sudan, Luo Xiaoguang, told Reuters on Wednesday that "the Sudanese government managed to release the four Chinese in Darfur after intensified negotiations with the kidnappers." The ambassador added that the men are in good health.
The commissioner of Kuma locality, Mohamed Suleiman Rabeh, said the Chinese had been handed over to UNAMID peacekeeping forces. UNAMID confirmed the arrival of the Chinese workers to one of its compounds in South Darfur, but refused to give details.
Mohamed Suleiman Rabeh added that the remaining 11 employees, Sudanese nationals, have not been released yet and explained that the release of the Chinese employees followed after three men were arrested. The three men were allegedly involved in preparing the kidnapping, the commissioner stated.